What is Mammography?
A mammography test, also known as a mammogram, is a diagnostic imaging procedure of the breast. It uses X-ray technology to capture detailed images of the breast that can be used to diagnose and detect breast conditions in women. The procedure is primarily used for early diagnosis of benign tumours, cysts or breast cancer, especially if they cannot be diagnosed by touch.
City Imaging & Clinical Labs is the most trusted choice for mammography test near me in Delhi. We have the latest equipment and skilled technicians to perform two types of mammography tests, which canve used for both Diagnostic and screening purposes.
- Diagnostic mammography: If you are experiencing pain in the breast or see unusual skin colour, lumps, nipple discharge, thickening of the nipples or an unusual change in its shape, it is ideal to get a diagnostic mammography test done. It can help diagnose what underlying breast conditions (including breast cancer) are causing such changes.
- Screening mammography: The procedure is used to assess changes in a breast in case there are no signs or symptoms. It is a type of preventive screening process that can help detect a cancerous growth before clinical signs show up.
Book an appointment today and get the best mammography test price in Delhi.
Who Should Get a Screening Mammography Test?
Screening mammography is done for early diagnosis of breast cancer in women who otherwise do not have any signs or symptoms. There are different recommendations for who should get a screening mammogram done:
- Women should get regular mammograms starting at age 40, every 1 to 2 years
- The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force suggests getting a screening mammography test done every 2 years for women within the age group 50 to 74
- The American Cancer Society suggests that women who are at an average risk of breast cancer must have regular mammograms starting from age 45 years. For women aged 45 to 54 years, the test should be done every year. After that, you should get a mammogram done every 2 years
- Women who are at a higher risk of breast cancer should consult the doctor about having a mammography test done early. Risk factors include past breast cancer, genetic tendency and family history.
If your doctor has recommended getting a screening done, contact us for a high-quality and reliable breast cancer mammogram.
How is a Mammogram Performed?
Before the test, you are required to undress from your waist up and stand in front of the mammography X-ray machine. Our highly trained technologist will place one of your breasts on a plastic plate, while another similar plate will press your breast firmly from above. This will cause the breast to flatten, holding it in position as the X-ray images are being captured.
This can be a little painful and uncomfortable but that is temporary. The same steps are performed to have a detailed side view of the breast. Once the test is complete, you can get back to your regular course of life.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q.1 Is a mammogram painful?
A mammography test can be uncomfortable for women and often, painful. However, this remains only for a few minutes and will get over soon. The breasts may feel more sensitive if you are about to get your period.
Q.2 How to prepare for a mammogram?
When you choose us for a mammography test near me, our team will guide you with all the instructions to prepare for the screening.
- It is recommended not to have the test during your period or if you are expecting your period soon
- On the day of the test, wear something that you can easily undress from the waist up, such as a top with pants or a skirt
- Do not use perfume, powder or deodorant as these can show up as white spots on the images
Q.3 When will I get the mammogram results?
It may take up to 2 weeks to get your mammography results.
Q.4 What does the mammogram test cost in Delhi?
The mammography test cost in Delhi starts from INR 1200/- to 8000/-. However, mammogram test cost can be higher and vary according to screening and study.
Call us today at 011-47252025 to schedule an appointment and get the best mammography test price.